Necronomicon--for String Quartet!
Dan Clore
2005-02-04 07:43:46 UTC
[Anyone heard this guy's work? Is there a recording
available of the Necronomicon piece?--DC]

MUSIC REVIEW
Atmosphere at Zorn tribute is decidedly cool
By Richard Dyer
[Boston] Globe Staff
February 1, 2005

New York avant-gardist John Zorn sat down for his portrait
Sunday afternoon in the Gardner Museum, but no 90-minute
period of conversation and music could display the many
facets of this protean musical personality who has
documented his work on more than 250 CDs. Composer, jazz
saxophonist, musical game maker, Zorn is a figure whose
interests range from Webern and Varese to Carl Stalling
(composer for Bugs Bunny cartoons), from Stravinsky to
hard-core death metal, and his music reflects that diversity
of interest.

The event, produced in collaboration with the Miller Theatre
at Columbia University, launched a new series designed to
attract a young and hip audience to the museum, and
reportedly did so on Saturday night. The repeat performance
Sunday afternoon played to about one-third capacity -- and
since this was a Zorn event, it wasn't a repeat. Instead of
the piano trio "Amour Fou" from 1999, some of the musicians
wanted to play Zorn's "Walpurgisnacht" for string trio, so
they did.

George Steel from the Miller Theatre hosted the concert and
brought Zorn onstage for a preperformance chat. The composer
appeared in camouflage pants topped by a maroon athletic
jersey over an orange T-shirt. One didn't envy Steel's
efforts to pin Zorn down, and in fact he failed abjectly to
do so. On Saturday night Zorn reportedly delivered a
foul-mouthed rant; on Sunday, chastened, he hardly said
anything beyond mentioning that "Walpurgisnacht" contains
the same number of bars as the string trio by Anton von
Webern and indicating that the last piece on the program,
"Necronomicon," is for string quartet. Steel said Zorn has
produced four previous works in this genre.

Information and basic helpfulness were in short supply both
in the conversation and in the program notes, which devoted
three pages to biographies of the performers, without a word
about the music. So the whole introductory chat gave off an
uncomfortable in-group feel, exactly the opposite of the
welcoming atmosphere it was designed to create; the attitude
seemed to be, "Everyone is here because we are all so cool."

The music on the program was in fact pretty cool, and the
performers were sensational. New England Conservatory
pianist Stephen Drury, producer of many local Zorn events,
played "Le Momo" with a leading New York new-music
violinist, Jennifer Choi; they have recorded this piece and
play it with fiery authority. Liner notes will tell you this
work is "a ritual of exorcism and possession," and you can
read elsewhere that "Le Momo" was the term the French
absurdist playwright and poet Antonin Artaud gave to his
disordered body after repeated shock therapy. At the Gardner
we were on our own.

Choi, violist Richard O'Neill, and cellist Fred Sherry
played "Walpurgisnacht," a depiction of the "Witches'
Sabbath" familiar from the Faust legend and its musical
treatments. The three of them were joined by violinist Jesse
Mills for the string quartet, which deals with a magus,
conjurations, and demonology. All three works demand
high-tension virtuosity and shuttle schizophrenically
between avant-garde, nontonal extravagance and almost
hypnotically tonal sweetness.

The context in which we hear music determines some of our
response. One wondered what the reaction to this music would
have been if it had been composed by a senior composer with
impressive academic credentials, as it easily could have
been (and, after all, Zorn is 51 by now), and if the titles
had been "Chronometry and Chaocity" or "Asynchronicity VI."
But if that had been the case, this audience probably
wouldn't have been there to hear it.
--
Dan Clore

Lord Weÿrdgliffe & Necronomicon Page:
http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/9879/

r***@aol.com
2005-02-04 11:16:34 UTC
Post by Dan Clore
[Anyone heard this guy's work? Is there a recording
available of the Necronomicon piece?--DC] <

I've got a few of his CDs. I haven't heard the Necronomicon piece, but
now I'm intrigued... Just last week I scored a used copy of Zorn's
_Naked City_, which has one of my favorite guitarists, Bill Frisell, on
it. It has pieces by Ornette Coleman and a version of Jerry Goldsmith's
theme from Chinatown - among other weirdities - and the whole thing
contains very abrupt juxtapostions of "Peter Gunn"-sounding
riffing/bachelor pad swingin' hipster lounge grooves/cacophonous bursts
and screeches/ velvety jazzy textures of opiate warmth,
and...ummm..."other" stuff.

Pretty much like most of his music...

I have a CD by Zorn called _Nani Nani_ that has a composition called
"Bad Hawkwind" that clocks in at 18 mins and 13 secs and has to be THE
ideal thing to play at your party if you want everyone to just clear
out and go home. I defy anyone to find a more annoying piece of music.
They couldda used this piece at Abu Ghraib. You gotta hand it to him!

Zorn combines any sort of "pop" music with klezmer, atonal "free" jazz,
death metal noise and punk, be-bop, twang, exotic instrumentation and
sonorities like Balinese gamelan or Harry Partch, electronics and tape
loopings, Japanese film music, and the western classical canon, esp.
19th and 20th c. He wd reside at the center of what I'd consider the
avant.

My favorite Zorn piece - and I REALLY do appreciate him - is the string
quartet piece he wrote for the Kronos Quartet, called "Cat O' Nine
Tails (Tex Avery Directs the Marquis de Sade)," which you can find on
KQ's _Short Stories_. It's a hair-raisingly difficult (flashy-tricky
virtuoso schtuff, like dizzying speed, col legno, spicatto/bouncing
bow, slow glissandi, tapping on the body, etc) set of variations that
quotes extensively from Carl Stallings and Paganini and a few others.
Everyone I've played it for has loved it. And it became a KQ concert
staple, too. There's a DVD that you might find in your local library
called _Kronos Quartet: In Accord_, in which they play this piece. Very
cool.

I've barely said anything about Zorn here.

Let us know if you find the name of the CD that contains Necronomicon.

-rmjon23 de Los Angeles
"I'm a lurid character!" - Orson Welles
Dan Clore
2005-02-04 18:25:49 UTC
Post by r***@aol.com
Post by Dan Clore
[...]
Okay, I'm starting to get the picture. To help round it out,
please write a compare-and-contrast type essay pitting this
Zorn guy against the Butthole Surfers.

Tommy
2005-02-04 19:49:21 UTC
Post by Dan Clore
Okay, I'm starting to get the picture. To help round it out,
please write a compare-and-contrast type essay pitting this
Zorn guy against the Butthole Surfers.
--
Are you familiar at all with Mr. Bungle, Fantomas, or anything else with
Mike Patton? They're all pretty influenced by Zorn.
BS
2005-02-04 20:04:07 UTC
Post by Tommy
Are you familiar at all with Mr. Bungle, Fantomas, or anything else with
Mike Patton? They're all pretty influenced by Zorn.
Also I recommend "I dig the Black Girls" off the Violent Femmes second album
"Hallowed Ground" John Zorn on mouth harp and bird calls.

Brian
Dan Clore

Tommy
2005-02-12 04:42:42 UTC
Post by Tommy
Post by Dan Clore
Okay, I'm starting to get the picture. To help round it out,
please write a compare-and-contrast type essay pitting this
Zorn guy against the Butthole Surfers.
Are you familiar at all with Mr. Bungle, Fantomas, or anything else with
Mike Patton?
No.
Mike Patton is pretty heavily influenced by Zorn and has worked with him
quite a bit. He's a vocalist that was in an experimental avant garde
whatever-you-wanna-call-it band called Mr. Bungle when he was in high
school, but became famous when he joined a rock band called Faith No More.
Faith No More broke up a while back. Mr. Bungle continued until about 2000
when the members went off and did their own thing. Mike Patton started a
record label and has a few bands, Fantomas being the main one and the most
Zorn-sounding. Very cinematic but noisy and dark...great stuff.

Tommy
2005-02-04 15:01:56 UTC
Post by Dan Clore
[Anyone heard this guy's work? Is there a recording
available of the Necronomicon piece?--DC]
I have only heard a few Zorn cds (he has TONS) and for me it is kind of a
hit or miss thing with him. Some of his stuff comes off as pretentious noise
stuff that nobody would want to listen to, yet he writes his own reviews
explaining that its some insanely amazing breakthrough from the greatest
musicians on the planet. Some of his stuff really is awesome though, and my
favorite albums I've heard from him are Naked City, and IAO, which is
obviously VERY Crowley influenced. The liner notes of IAO have some pretty
interesting writing and artwork.
David Samuel Barr
2005-02-06 07:08:33 UTC
Post by Dan Clore
[Anyone heard this guy's work? Is there a recording
available of the Necronomicon piece?--DC]
The Crowley Quartet has recorded it for Zorn's own Tzadik label.
The CD is titled "Magick", catalogue number TZA 8006,
UPC 7-02397-80062, released 9/21/04.
Doug Boucher
2005-02-06 19:15:35 UTC
Post by Dan Clore
[Anyone heard this guy's work? Is there a recording
available of the Necronomicon piece?--DC]
Zorn is a twisted freak of a beautiful genius. I haven't heard the piece in
question, but I'll back up the comments about Naked City (who pretty much
kicked my head in within three seconds of hearing them) and add that his
Filmworks series of CDs contains loads of odd little gems. And if you dare,
check out his "First Recordings" album, which comes from 1973, I believe.
It's some of the most absurdly insane music I've ever heard in my life. His
group Masada is a fascinating blend of Jewish and jazz influences, though I
haven't heard nearly enough of them yet.

Dougie