NSNIA
Jay Furr
2006-05-02 02:55:59 UTC
http://www.suntimes.com/output/steinberg/cst-nws-stein01.html
--
"It does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are 20 gods, or no god.
It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." -- Thomas Jefferson

"There's hits in chicken." -- Wade Boggs
James Schrumpf
2006-05-02 03:15:35 UTC
Post by Jay Furr
http://www.suntimes.com/output/steinberg/cst-nws-stein01.html
Eh... Let's see:

1. We need the people. The City of Chicago has half a million fewer
residents than it did in 1940.

Well, who really cares about cities? They're mostly just administrative
centers, and with modern communications technology, you can run a
business from anywhere.

Miss.

2. We need the taxpayers. Right now, Social Security collapses a week
from Friday because the baby boom is about to quit working.

Very true.

Hit.

3. We need the workers.

Once they're legals you won't be able to get away with paying them such
low salaries, and we'll be at the $8 grapes and $90 lawn mowing anyway
(already are with the lawn mowing in the DC-Baltimore metroplex).

Miss.

4. We need the culture.

I'd rather have the culture of the South Sea Islanders. Can we get them
to illegally immigrate instead.

Miss.

5. We need the cuisine.

Don't need illegal immigrants to get the food. The legals brought it
with them long ago.

Miss.

6. It's hypocritical to think otherwise. Your grandfather left Poland --
or your great-grandfather left Ireland. That you're glad about.

They came legally, not by hiding in the holds of tramp steamers or being
dropped ashore on Long Island at midnight.

Miss.

7. They have strong family values.

True.

Hit.

8. We can't send them back.

Unfortunately true, but nothing to be happy about.

Miss.

9. Because we'll regret being opposed to it later.

It's not "anti-immigration", it's "anti-illegal immigration". Big
difference.

Miss.

10. Because protests are an endorsement of the democratic system.

Don't need illegal immigrants to have protests.

Miss.

Final tally: 8 miss, 2 hit. Hardly nailing anything, weak arguments
abound.

He missed the best argument: they aren't Muslims.
James Schrumpf http://www.hilltopper.net

We Must Protect this Couch!